To the Boyne Valley to Lakelands County Greenway trailhead
Families, kids, cyclists of all levels, community groups all welcome to enjoy a fun, loud and engaging cycle. Meeting at ‘The Bull’, Market Square, and proceeding to the trailhead of the Boyne Valley to Lakelands County Greenway on Ratholdren Road.
The new greenway is due to open in Navan later this year. Unfortunately, that’s where the story ends, because there’s no safe route from the centre of Navan to the Greenway entrance.
Not only that, but there’s no option to cycle to schools or leisure amenities in the Ratholdren Road area – St Paul’s, Scoil Naomh Eoin, Aura Leisurelink and Blackwater park.
Meet ‘The Bull’ Market Square Navan. Proceed to the Boyne Valley to Lakelands County Greenway (future) trailhead at Windtown on Ratholdren Road via Watergate St, Abbey Road, N51 and Ratholdren Rd. The return will include a pit stop at Blackwater Park. Return is via Ratholdren Rd, N51, Abbey Rd, Paddy O’Brien St (Shopping Centre), Kennedy Rd and Trimgate St.
Total Length 5.0km.
All participants are encouraged to wear a helmet, must be at least 6 years of age and must be able to cycle independently [bikes with wheels larger than 14” are most suitable] – no balance bikes, no stabilisers, no scooters and all bikes must be roadworthy. Younger children may participate as passengers on parent/guardian’s bikes.
Before setting off, the organisers will inform the body of cyclists that everyone is responsible for his or her own safety, that Navan Cycling Initiative are facilitating the cycle and that Navan Cycling Initiative may record video or photographs that may appear on-line.
Participants will also be instructed to:
- Observe the Rules of the Road
- Follow the instructions of bicycle marshals
- Not to pass the lead cyclist
- To warn other cyclists of hazards/pedestrians
- That the event is a leisurely cycle and not a race and the group will stay together
- Request experienced and confident cyclists to be particularly considerate of less confident cyclists and that all participants give enough space to those around them.
- Children should cycle to the left (kerb) side and adults on the right side of the group.
- Families with the youngest children will be asked to assemble towards the front of the group so that they set the pace.
General (not location specific) risk – conflict between participants and pedestrians and between participants and vehicular traffic; Measures taken:
- There will be a short safety briefing in advance of the start of the cycle (see above). Participants will be informed of the route and any hazards of note or junctions ahead before commencing each stage.
- The whole cycle will be at a leisurely pace but marshal cycling at front will seek to ensure a particularly gentle pace in narrow areas and where there are pedestrians.
- The group will aim to stay together at all times – both for safety purposes and also to minimise delay to other traffic as the cycle will be able to pass through streets/junctions relatively quickly.
- At least one marshal will cycle at the very front and at the very rear of the group.
- Marshals will wear Hi-Viz and will make themselves known to participants.
- Participants must obey all instructions of marshals and Gardaí.
As Navan is busy on Saturday afternoons we will endeavour to minimise disruption to traffic by moving as a tight group. Marshal at back of group will ask lead cyclist to slow or stop if necessary to close up gaps and maintain tight group.
Map of Route:
Please register so that we can ensure a safe and fun event for everyone: