Navan Cycling Initiative community cycle to the new BVLC Greenway in Navan
Bike Week is a celebration and promotion of the benefits of cycling. This year Bike Week took place from Saturday 13 to Sunday 21 May. The focus of Bike Week is to provide people of all ages and abilities with a variety of cycling events and to create awareness of cycling as a form of transport and physical activity. For more information see here.
Navan Cycling Initiative were delighted to be involved again this year and held numerous events throughout the week, including an inclusive family-friendly event for all along the excellent new Boyne Valley to Lakelands County Greenway, which recently opened on Ratholdren Road. 100 participants cycled from Market Square in Navan town centre to the new greenway, located on Ratholdren Road.
Assisted by Community Garda Frank Scully and the Navan Order of Malta (all on bikes), the cyclists made their way to the greenway and out to the old Gibbstown Station, with some venturing further to Wilkinstown. The group included young children, teenagers, families and pensioners on a mix of bicycles, e-bikes, trailers, cargo-bikes and hand-cycles, and a great day was had by all.
THIS IS FREE EVENT, BUT REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED – PLEASE CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Photos from the day
Navan Cycling Initiative Chairperson Ed Moynihan said “it was great to see such a fantastic turnout for the cycle, as well as a huge number of Bike Week events happening all throughout the week. It really shows how popular cycling has become and we are seeing more and more people use the bike not only for recreation but also to beat the traffic and get around town. The past year has shown us that residents of all ages wish to use their bike to get to school or work, to shop or go to the gym, but to do this we need a safe and integrated cycle network, starting with safe access to the new greenway.”
About the event
- 2pm Group Cycle from ‘The Bull’ Market Square Navan to the Greenway trailhead
- Join the group at Blackwater Park if you wish
- Children with balance bikes etc. may join at the Rathaldren Rd trailhead
- Cycle as far as you like on the Greenway; 8km to Wilkinstown or 4km to Pit-stop with refreshments for children at site of Gibbstown Station
- 3.45pm regroup at the trailhead
- Group Cycle back to ‘The Bull’
Families, kids, cyclists of all levels, community groups are all welcome to enjoy a fun cycle on the recently opened Greenway.
Who can Participate?
The event is open to everyone with a bike. For the safety and health of everyone involved, we have some rules:
- We encourage participants to wear a helmet
- Under 18s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- All participants must be able to cycle independently – no balance bikes, no stabilisers, no scooters on the road
- Children with balance bikes, stabilisers or scooters may join at the Rathaldren Rd trailhead.
- Younger children may participate as passengers on parent/guardian’s bike
- All bikes must be roadworthy. If in doubt, chat with a Marshal before the event. How to check bike
- Follow instructions of Marshals & Gardaí
Boyne Road/Greenway Loop
Join us for a leisurely cycle along by the beautiful River Boyne, and soon to be Boyne Greenway, on Wednesday 17 May, 6.30pm. Sign up, for free: here
Photos from the day
BikeWeek Events around Meath
For more information on all Bike Week 2023 events happening in Meath, see Meath Local Sports Partnership’s website here, or see a full list events below.
Ras Tailteann Grand Depart
The famous Ras Tailteann celebrates 70 years of existence and this year the grand depart takes place in Navan on Wednesday 17 May, right in the middle of BikeWeek. Navan Road Club, who also celebrate a 70th anniversary this year, are welcoming the Ras to Navan. You can meet the riders at race HQ in O’Mahony’s GAA grounds from 9:30am. The race rolls out from O’Mahonys at 11:30am, with a ceremonial start at Market Square at 11.45am. Show your support and welcome the Ras in Navan!
Photos from the day
Other Bike Week Events
St Paul’s Primary School Greenway Cycle:
Loreto Secondary School Greenway Cycle:
Navan Library Bike Week display (organised by NCI member Conor Quigley)