Navan Bike Fest 2021
Navan will be filled with the sound of people of all ages getting on their bikes for a week-long series of events planned for National Bike Week.
Navan Bike Fest is a week-long series of events planned for National Bike Week, kicking off with a half-day event on Sunday 12 September. This family-friendly event will be held at Coláiste na Mí and is a celebration of all things cycling, with a variety of cycling fun and games, stands and stalls, as well as the return of our ever-popular Family Cycle.
Navan Family Day – Sunday 12th September
Kicking off at 10am in the spacious grounds of Coláiste na Mí, Johnstown, the Family Day promises to be a fun day out on the bike for all the family. Navan Cycling Initiative have teamed up with our friends at Navan Road Club, Meath Local Sports Partnership, Spun Cycles, Johnstown Tidy Towns and more, to create a fun filled day on the bike. Highlights include:
- Family Cycle around Navan
- Weird and wonderful bikes
- Cycling events with Navan Road Club
- A “slow bicycle race”
- A junior cycle track and race area (suitable for all ages)
- Refreshments: coffee, sandwiches, ice-cream etc; from Fuel8 and Karen Ball Events
For more information on the Family Cycle and to register please click here!
Bike Week – a week long series of events
In addition to the half-day event, a series of events are planned throughout the week as part of National Bike Week, which is a celebration and promotion of the benefits of cycling. This year, Bike Week will kick off on Sunday September 12th and end on Saturday September 18, with events planned all around the country. Visit BikeWeek.ie to view all the events around the country, and check out the Meath page here.
Highlights for Bike Week in Navan include:
- A week-long “Scavenger Hunt” – click here for more
- Talks & presentations on the plans for cycling in Navan, Greenways, and more
- A leisure cycle to a nearby point of interest
- CX in the Park: cyclo-cross with Navan Road Club
- Free bike safety checks with Spun Cycles
- Meaths Big Bike Revival – #7daysofcycling
- … and lots more to be announced!
Capping off the week is Movie Night on Saturday 18 at Solstice Arts Centre, where we’ll be showing a selection of inspiring, feel-good cycling documentaries. Screenings include Cycling Across Europe in the Pandemic (BBC World Service; All Bodies on Bikes (Shimano with Marley Blonsky and Kailey Kornhauser); and Why We Cycle (Short Version – Gertjan Hutsler). The films explore the impact the pandemic is having on our towns and cities, common perceptions of people on bikes and the fundamental question: “Why do we cycle?”